The Grand Final of National English Competition 2014 was held on December 13 2014. English department invited 15 high school students -participants who made it into the final round of two competitions: Essay Writing and Speech competitions. Using nationalism as big theme, the finalists explored the issue in a timed writing and speech sessions.
The three judges spoke of their astonishment with the quality of the English used by the grand finalists. Bruce, the Head Editor of the Jakarta Post, stated that Indonesian students have shown a very positive trend in their English mastery in the past few years. David, an IELTS examiner and a lecturer at English department, seconded Bruce’s opinion and backed him up with the data of improved quality of IELTS papers that he examined.
As committee members, we are delighted to see how, in such young age, the grand finalist have fluently voiced their thoughts in English. Here are the list of the winners for both competitions.
Essay Writing Competition
1. First Winner : Kezia Liana, SMA Dian Harapan, Jakarta Barat
2. Second Winner: Benediktus Giovanito A., SMA St. Aloysius 2, Bandung
3. Third Winner: Maitsa Nur S., SMA Madania, Parung Bogor.
The Second winner is Benediktus Giovanito, from Bandung. Unfortunately, he could not stay until the end of the ceremony for us to take his picture for some personal reasons. The trophy and the prizes were collected by a family member a few days after the grand final day.
1. First Winner : Theodora, SMA Kairos Gracia, Jakarta
2. Second Winner: Bob Justin Wangsajaya, SMA Dian Harapan, Jakarta Barat
3. Third Winner: Gloria Kristiani, SMA IPEKA Tomang II, Jakarta Barat
Congratulations to those who have made it into the grand final stage of the competitions and we wish you all the best for your study and personal development! You are all winners! [irf]
Published at :